Was simplicity the reason why "First Person Shooter" was so enjoyable?





Initially, when I thought of a short story, I thought of a children’s book or a story that was no longer than five pages long. I thought of them as being relatively simple stories, with a very focused plot and not so much character development, which is what makes them me at least, enjoyable to read. I soon figured out, that was not the case. Instead, short stories could be quite complex, and extremely dense, and simplicity was not a key component at all, which surprised me, to say the least.





Out of all the short stories we read in class, I only really liked First Person Shooter. The main reason for that is because of how simple of a story it was. It was easy to understand, the plot and setting were clear, and the characters while their backstories weren’t necessarily fully developed, they were developed enough. I was more aware of what was actually happening in the story and genuinely appreciated the fact that I didn’t have to repeatedly read it over to understand what was happening. The message in the story was clear, the main character was able to relate to the pretty zombie lady in ways that he didn’t realize before and the state of her well being gave him the push he needed to ask Janine out.





Compared to the other short stories we read in class, First Person Shooter was the shortest. All the others had very elaborate futuristic settings, with a very long, drawn-out plot, but yet it was First Person Shooter that I interested me the most, despite its simplicity. So it begs the question-- what makes a good short story? Of course, this question is subjective, but for me, it would have to be having a plot that isn’t too long because short stories I believe are made to be quick reads. They don’t have you waiting too long to figure out is the main point of the passage, and while it is short, it should have an apparent theme or message. It shouldn’t be too complicated of a story because again it’s short.





I think for me another reason why I didn’t particularly like the other short stories that we read in class was that most of those stories could have easily been expanded into a novel. They all ended on a weird cliffhanger, which made the story feel incomplete. In First Person Shooter, the ending was good because there wasn’t much that you could expand on after that scene. The main character wanted to ask Janine out, and he did-- perfect ending. In the other stories, the endings felt inadequate. Like in Bloodchild, for instance. It ends with T’Gatoi taking care of Gan, which is possibly the worst ending because we know he’s in danger. The author could very much continued to talk about Gan’s experience with T’Gatoi and his birth process and would he be able to escape from her. There’s just so much more that you could do to the story that the endings just felt like random stopping points. But again, that’s just my opinion.

Comments

  1. Yeah, reading stories like "The Fall of the House of Usher" makes me realize why Hemingway was so revolutionary and popular. I think it's fun to write super dense, wordy stories with tons of description, but reading them isn't always as enjoyable. I think it takes a lot of skill to pack tons of meaning into a short, engaging story with simple language, and those stories often resonate the hardest, at least with me. I think another element of "FPS" that made it so engaging was the humor and how relatable the situation (other than the zombie) and the emotions were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I liked about "First Person Shooter" was how, though it was really easy to understand what was happening, there were many things that weren't really explained and a lot of questions were left unanswered (For example: Are zombies a normal/commonplace thing in the world of the story? Was the zombie actually a zombie? etc.). I think Charles Yu intentionally made his story really ambiguous in order to allow the readers to interpret the meaning of the story in their own way. I think this ambiguity adds a lot of depth to the story, giving it the potential to be very rich and compelling (depending on how it is interpreted), despite its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked first person shooter a lot because even though it was short and the writing wasn't as complex as other stories we read there was still a lot to interpret from the story. I also like how first person shooter although being about a very strange topic is very straight forward and chill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the simplicity of First Person Shooter's plot made it so enjoyable. If I were to describe the plot of the story to someone who hasn't read it, I wouldn't really know what to say. Two workers in a massive convenience store interact with a zombie - it's as simple as that. However, this story was my favorite as well, despite it's incredibly basic plot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also liked First Person Shooter, since it was concise and easy to understand, with no complex background information and plot to try to understand. Since short stories are meant to be short and quick to read, hence the name "short story", it's best if their plots are a bit more simple than an actual novel. It can be impressive if an author is able to make the background of the plot / setting complex in such a short length, but for the reader it might not be as enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I agree that simplicity is in fact a strong appeal for short stories, "First Person Shooter" was actually not my favorite story. I wasn't entirely pleased with the character development because I was expecting more on the narrator's "relationship" with Janine. For me, I would like a short story of any length as long as I find the plot interesting. Taking all things into account, I would have to say that my favorite short story is actually "There Will Come Soft Rains" because I enjoyed reading the struggle depicted between nature and the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's really interesting that you like "First Person Shooter" the most because of its short, but fun plot and character development. Short stories that aren't super complicated with deeper meanings and confusing plots lines can be really enjoyable sometimes. Especially when you're looking for something that you can read in one sitting and get a laugh out of. I'm glad you enjoyed this story and you make some really good points about the diversity of short stories within the genre, as well as pointing out how the ending of many of the short stories we've read are dissatisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree 100%. A lot of the other stories we've read so far- e.g., The Fall of the House of Usher- are so WORDY. In my opinion, the author of "First Person Shooter" is the only author of ANY story we've read so far that truly is playful/relaxed/short enough to capture the genius simplicity of short stories. Ambiguity is key.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you regarding the appreciation of the shortness of short stories. "The Fall of the House of Usher" was really hard for me to read, honestly just because there were too many words - at least definitely more than necessary. Maybe I suck at reading, but the brevity and straightforward language of "First Person Shooter" definitely made me enjoy it more. However, there are short stories like "The Semplica Girl Diaries" which are considerably longer but still hold our interest by provoking deeper though about the way we live our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that "First Person Shooter" was one of the most enjoyable stories we read this quarter, and I think you hit the nail on the head. Not only the simplicity of the story/setting, but also the way the narration is given is easy to read, fun, and interesting. Being in person, we can forgive the narrator for not giving us a full 360 degree description of the setting, and I think this works well in keeping the story compact and focused.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with your blog and I also liked First Person Shooter. I think the biggest definer of short story is if you can read it in one sitting. I think for some of the other stories that needed to build into the suspense (like House of Usher) but with First Person Shooter there wasn't really a need to build tension so the story could be more condensed. I think that made it a more enjoyable reading experience for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts